I would be lying if I say I didn’t miss the Easter Party and
copious amount of chocolate and pie from back home… But Easter in Africa is
pretty amazing. We attended the church service at the church by our house, and
it is probably one of my favorite services ever! Not only was the coir music
incredible, but the church was beautiful, and listening to hymns and choir
pieces in Swahili is so interesting. From what I got from the message and from
what our host mama interpreted for us it was a similar message to your average
Easter service sermon, but with more of an emphasis on how Easter is also a
time to spend with your family. Allie and I also got to introduce ourselves to
the giant congregation… Somehow I wound up going first and in front of about 4
or 5 hundred people I stumbled through very basic introduction… Habari za asabuhi. Jina langu Andrea,
ninatoka Mericani, sijui Kiswahili… I am a student and here in Tanzania I am studying African
culture, history, politics, and Kiswahili…. Right after I said it I realized I
know all of those words in Swahili… *facepalm moment* But my host family and
the church secretary later told me and Allie that they were so happy we tried,
so I guess it is the thought that counts! Anyways, after church we hung out
with our host family and low and behold… THE TV HAS CARTOON NETWORK, DISNEY
CHANNEL, AND OTHER CHANNELS WITH HAWAII 5-0 AND FRIENDS! Allie and I were
thrilled and our host parents thought it was hilarious. We only found this out
because our host parents eldest daughter was visiting with her family and the
kids were watching tv shows… Also, I was wrong before… She has a set of twin
boys, a single boy, and triplets 2 girls and a boy… All under the age of ten…
If there were ever super parents… Those were them. I commend and am in awe of
those parents… Though in all honesty the kids seemed really well behaved, as
most African children are. Mama says we will be visiting them on the 1st
of May, which I am very excited for! Before the family left Allie and I ran
into our room and got the few little gifts we had for children, when we came
out everyone was looking at us… We then attempted to explain that in America we
have an Easter bunny (probably the most confusing tradition to explain)… Thank
goodness our host parents had had the explanation last night and their daughter
already knew about it, other-wise that explanation could have been terribly
long and awkward. The kids loved the bubbles and toy cars and everyone was
thrilled with the gifts. When the family left, Allie and I spent an hour or two
planning our lives and getting everything in order and making lists… And
watching friends and Hawaii 5-0… After the 1960’s Jesus’s life and works special
dubbed in Swahili of course. After that we had lunch… Pilau and nyama… Aka
PIlau ( a mix of seasonsings) seasoned rice, and meat. With a tomato and red
onion salad. Traditional African Easter food!!! Soooo good! The rest of the way
was filled with homework… Which we still have not finished… It is looking like
it will be another day of hunkering down and essay writing, job applications,
and movies… and sleeping. Not a bad day if you ask me but I am looking forward
to Tuesday and moving and walking. At dinner we came out and chatted with our
host brother who had come to visit, he is a 21 year old law student and was
really interested in the school system in the US, and was wondering if things
were really like in the movies. It was great, after dinner which was pilau and
ndizi mbichi ( raw banana stew.. I promise it is nothing like it sounds… It is
amazing) we talked for a while until he left and then Allie and I stayed up
late working on applications…. We also each got a little hershey’s Minnie that
Allie and saved from her America candy stock pile and was kind enough to share,
we also got to read Easter letter’s from family. It was an amazing day!
No comments:
Post a Comment