Here is a picture of Kristin my lovely roommate and our host sister Sharon.
Kristin's blog is here: http://kristinswanderingheart.wordpress.com/
Well, it certainly sounds like
that. Though I am very aware that thunder is a sound and not something that can
physically be on a roof… But tin roofs and African rain are a combination that
will be hard to forget. It is rainy season now, and the skies lately have been
dark and gloomy and rain can come at any moment, which is a bit disconcerting news
for someone who has to walk a mile or so to work everyday. And when I say rain,
I do not mean the rain we have in the Northwest U.S.A, even in the areas where
we get lots of rain. No, the rain here is more like God turning on the garden
hose right on top of Africa. The raindrops are HUGE, and within about 2 minutes
of downpour one can go from fairly decent looking, to week old drowned rat. Luckily
the rain seems to only last 15-30 minutes on average and then all that is left
is the aftermath. By aftermath I mean mud. Walking becomes an exciting
adventure of sliding here and there and not falling. As an Oregonian I pride myself in my ability
to navigate mud, but the mud here is made from dirt that is so fine and so dry
that it becomes these multi-layers of slippery goo that are quite difficult to
keep ones footing on. Though, thus far I have not fully fallen flat on my face
from slipping on mud… There have been other times though where I have fallen, but
in those instances I am generally tripping over my own feet or falling up the
stars… But if you know me at all you will know that that is quite an average occurrence
in my everyday life… Clumsy I may be, slipping in mud I do not. Ha, not thus
far anyways.*knocks on wood*…
Anyhoo, the rain here is certainly
something to behold. It is beautiful, even though it is quite destructive. When
it rains the entire world hides, people stop what they are doing and run for
cover… And I am among them, because by
drowned rat I literally mean soaked to the skin, which is fine unless you need
to spend the entire day in your clothes… And since everything runs on ‘Africa
Time’ it is perfectly reasonable to say you were late from the rain. While the
rain is fierce, I would be lying if I say I didn’t somehow love it. All of the
weather here is extreme and exciting, the skies are beautiful, and the clouds…
Don’t even get my started on the clouds. All of the other students make fun of
me and my obsession with the clouds and sunsets. But I have no shame. They are
so beautiful, and seeing lightning gash through them and then listening to the
roaring thunder is something to behold. If
it wasn’t for anything else I could probably stay here in Africa just for the
skies.
No comments:
Post a Comment